Sunday, January 19, 2014

Confessions of a Mis-guided Loan Originator.

So I spent 2 weeks of the Christmas/New Year Holidays putting together what I believe is going to be a "game Changer" for my business. I develop and facilitate an Online First Time Home Buyer Seminar with numbers Power Point presentations and Information I have compiled from my time in the RE Biz. "I'M Gonna kill It!"  I think to my self.

But, in reflection, it is not important that "I Kill It."  What is important is that these young families looking to buy their first home "get informed about what they need to help them" into their first home.  So, I have changed up a bit of the way I put it together so they will have access now and in the future to this information.  We all cannot sit through ONE presentation and be expected to remember everything ( Hell, I can't remember my home phone number most of the time)

Now at age 55, I remember when Karen & I bought our first home back in 1983.  I was but 19 months out of the US Navy and had been fortunate to find employment only 2 months after my discharge.  Our little girl, Elise was 2 years old, in Day Care and Karen was working at Acme Markets as a Cashier. We were renting a small townhome in North Wilmington in a development with single family homes.

We happened upon a real estate agent in the neighborhood, Diane who lived several houses down.  She talked about the neighborhood and asked why we had not looked into owning and we said we did not think we would be able to.  She said she would see about helping us get financing and we were off.

Now, my background was electronics and Karen worked in a supermarket. So our level of understanding "How to Buy Your First Home" was about ZERO!  There was no internet or Google and the time it would have taken to do the research would have cost time & money a young working family had very little of.

She recommended Ninth Ward Savings & Loan on Delaware Ave in Wilmington.  We walked in knowing absolutely noting about home finance, spent about an hour completing the application process with the man behind the desk and left knowing nothing more about buying a home.

So here a young family is, going to buy a home (hopefully)  and receiving Zero Information in advance on what TO DO & NOT TO DO, what to look for, what type of financing would be best, from two Real Estate Professionals.  We had only our Parents, who had not bought a house in decades, and for pennies by comparison to the cost of real estate we were seeing.

Honestly, My first home purchase was "dumb luck."  And, as Luck would have it, I had a fixed rate loan at 13.25% when interest rates had peaked and had not place to go but down.  Not a smart move. But, How would I have known?

With this experience & thought in mind and as that little 2 year old Girl Elise is about ready to give birth to my 1st Grandchild, I wanted to make sure what happened to my family was not going to happen to young families in Delaware today.


So, I have taken what I have learned about buying a home,and using today's technology, put it into a power point presentation and decided to share this information with those who need it.

I am proud to Announce that I have Launched the First & Only Online First Time Home Buyer Seminar in the State of Delaware.  Immediate, online access to first time home buyers in Delaware.

I AM here to help. If you know someone wanting to Learn the Best & Right way to buy their first home,  Please share this info.


No comments:

Post a Comment